A sword is a bladed weapon, primarily used for cutting and thrusting, consisting of a blade attached to a hilt. Many martial arts teach sword techniques, while a few styles deal exclusively with said techniques, such as Kendo.
- Katana One of the most distinctive and best-known types of Asian swords, the katana is long, slender, and has a single edge. The blade must be at least 60 cm (24 in) for the sword to qualify as a katana. The main weapon of the samurai.
- Wakazashi Similar in shape to a katana, but with a shorter blade (between 30 and 60 cm (12 to 24 in.)). It was typically used either as an auxiliary sword or as a suicide weapon.
- Tantō Similar in shape to a Wakazashi, but with a blade between 15 and 30 cm (6 to 12 in.).
- Ōdachi Literally translating to "big sword", this weapon had a blade of around 90 cm (35 in) long and was mainly used as a cavalry weapon.
- Dao A curved sabre with a single edge and a thick blade (thickening towards the end), used for slicing and slashing.
- Jian A thin, double-edged sword primarily used for thrusting, typically with a blade length of around 45 to 80 cm (18 to 32 in.).